For the third year in a row, Mass Mentoring Partnership is honored to be an official charity partner of the B.A.A. Boston Marathon® on April 15. We want you to meet our amazing runners. Let’s go Team MMP!
Runner: Kelly Whalen
Longest run to date: I have run the entire Boston Marathon route on my own, but in this training season my longest run has been 18 miles.
Favorite song to listen to while running: I listen to Pandora, and listen to a variety of music. My music taste changes day-to-day depending on my mood. However, I have to say that Eminem has been especially motivating to me during my training!
Favorite post-run snack: This also depends on how I'm feeling that day. Some favorites are a pasta dish or an egg sandwich.
- Why did you choose to run the 2013 Boston Marathon for MMP? I’ve seen first-hand how kids flourish and grow when they have a mentor, and I have been an avid runner since I was 13, so I felt inspired to combine my love of running with fundraising for an important cause like mentoring.
- What has been the most rewarding experience of your training and/or fundraising so far? The most rewarding experience of my training and fundraising so far has been the entire process. There are some days where I doubt my ability to be able to complete the training and fundraising, but those are the days that I build myself up and make myself stronger by really focusing on the end result. I want to complete the Marathon and donate to MMP, which I strongly believe is a great stepping stone for our children and communities.
- What is your experience with mentoring? Why do you think it is important for youth to have mentors? I have yet to be an official mentor -- I worked in a group home for four years and knew that there were a few children that looked up to me as if I was their mentor. Everyone needs a mentor. Knowing you have someone there to provide you with advice, guidance, and inspiration gives anyone the building blocks to be the best person they can grow into.
- What do you think is the most important thing a mentor can do for a child? The most important thing a mentor can do for a child is to be consistent and listen. Everyone needs someone in their life that posses those two qualities. Children especially need someone who they can depend on and who they know will always listen to them. Sometimes just listening to someone can change their life.
- What is the best piece of advice a mentor can give? The best advice a mentor can give is to tell them that "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it."
- Complete this sentence: When I finish the Marathon, I will feel…Proud!
If you would like to read more about Kelly or make a donation to her fundraising, please visit http://www.razoo.com/story/Kelly-Whalen